A Lazy Girl's Cosplay

You poor, unfortunate soul.
   
   Today at work, we had a themed day where the kids and staff could dress up as a Disney or Super Hero character. Last year, I went as Snow White, which was very fun but very cutesy. Another aide and I decided we would dress up as Disney villains, so I decided to dress up as Ursala. 

   Long story short, I took it a little too far and went to work in full on cosplay. Needless to say, I was the only person present who was that dressed up. Not even my fellow villain went as far as I did. Not even the kids got as dressed up as I thought they would! So I walked around work looking and feeling like a fool. However, I am pretty proud at my wicked quick/lazy cosplay skills. I managed to pull together this entire getup together for under $15 and in less than three hours. Would a more serious cosplayer look at my work at be appalled? Probably. But I was pleased with the outcome. Therefore I felt like sharing. 

   I made the tentacles out of a heavy black cotton fabric and used fabric glue to attach the purple and turquoise mottled fabric to the back. The effect was really cool and from afar the pattern almost looked like suction cups. Almost. I attached these "tentacles" onto a black dress I already owned using a hefty supply of safety pins. I made Ursala's necklace from some cardboard which I cut out and stacked to look like a three-dimensional shell. I then coated it with Modge-Podge and after that dried, painted it with varying mixtures of silver, gold, and black all surface paint. I then attached the back of the shell onto some black chord that I could tie around my neck. I used a pair of white tights to cover my arms so that I wouldn't have to paint them white. Everything else after that point is just body paint, makeup, purple tights, and a lot of patience. 

   A few things I learned from this lazy, last minute "cosplay": first, hair spray and baby powder work way better for making one's hair white than the dumb colored hair spray. Don't waste $3+ on it. Second, never ever ever use grease paint. Take the extra time and spend a little extra on some legitimate water-based body paint. (My high school drama teacher would have been so disappointed in me.) Third, if you're going to paint on new brows, don't be lazy-take the time to cover your real brows. It will look a lot better in the long run. Lastly, don't apologize for going all out and having fun with a theme. I may have walked around feeling a little ridiculous, but everyone loved it, and deep down, I actually really enjoyed it too. Now I'm pumped for Wondercon in two weeks, which I will be cosplaying for as well. But not as Ursala.

   Hope you're all having a great week so far! 


Stay weird guys.
Love, Little Mouse

Love, Little Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram