Bright Colors for Dark Souls...


   Once someone commented that I only like things that are black and death.
   
   At that point in time, it was semi-true. I wore all black, all day, every day, regardless of the weather or the season. I've gotten a little better, or so I'd like to think.

   Those who know me well, they know that I really do love deeper, dark colors. I very near despise pastels, brights are tolerable, jewel tones acceptable, black and gray always preferable. Despite this closely kept fact, (well, not so closely kept anymore...) I want to like colors; I want to be comfortable with bright colors. I've gotten comfortable wearing a lot of color in my clothing, but for the longest time, the only makeup I ever wore-and I mean ever-was black winged liner with red lipstick, or no lipstick. As easy as that was, I felt like I always looked the same. A few people actually commented that my makeup always looked the same. 

   Some would say to do whatever I like and not to worry what others think, but the issue is not really what others think but more of me getting tired of the same thing, and getting tired of being predictable. I guess. So over the last year, I've been experimenting with different looks and with more color, really going out of my comfort zone. I noticed that I definitely gravitate towards colors that are very saturated and highly pigmented. Pastels are still not my favorite, largely because they are white-based colors and wash out my warm-medium toned skin. 

   I have happened to become fond of a few bright shades. So even though summer is coming to an end, I thought I would share the "bright" shades that my "dark" soul is drawn to, in order to inspire others or, you know...whatever. 
 
-"Poppy"-


   I've become quite fond of the deeper, orange-red toned corals, often dubbed as "poppy" shades. The warmth of the orange, paired with the depth from red compliments my yellow toned skin quite nicely. This is a color that is far more appropriate for me when I've got a nice tan going though, as it is a little too orange for my taste when I'm paler.

Lipstick: Sonia Kashuk Velvety Matte Lip Crayon in Poppy Nude
(very budget friendly, might I add...)
Eyeshadow: Makeup Geek Poppy

-True Red-


   There is something so wonderful about the perfect red, and this is definitely more of my perfect red shade; a good mix of "Fire-Engine" and "Brick." Not too blue toned, not too brown. A true, highly saturated red. It compliments the warmth of my skin, and doesn't wash me out whether I have a tan or not. This is the kind of lip color I'm drawn to the most during the warmer months, as it satisfies my penchant for a red lip without looking like I don't understand where I live and what month it is.

Lipstick: Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw
 (this is an excellent alternative and this is more budget friendly)

-Cobalt Blue-


   Besides being my absolute favorite color in general, cobalt blue is surprisingly flattering when paired with my warm skin. (That just goes to show that you don't have to follow every rule about wearing colors that are for cool or warm skin tones...just saying.) I love that it is more readily available now in lipstick form (for example; here, here, and here) and of course in eyeliner form.

Eyeliner: Sephora 24 hr Waterproof Liquid Liner in Pool Party 
*Sadly, this particular eyeliner is no longer available, but here are great alternatives:*
             -NYX
             -NYX 2; take special note on the name of this one ;)
             -Laura Mercier
             -Stila 

-Neon/Bright Lavender/Violet-
 

   I would have never thought that this sort of color would appeal to me, but now I can't get enough of it. I think it's because this shade walks the border of being both cool and warm without being neutral. I feel that it pulls warm with my skin, but cool on some others. I think it is so flattering and pretty, and in a way soft, while still being bold and vibrant. 

Left Lipstick: Stila After Glow Lip Color in Vivid Violet   (or here
Right Lipstick: Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Susperia 
(budget friendly alternatives here and here; not exact dupes, but in the same color family)

Nailed It...
 

   And of course, all the colors mentioned above make excellent shades to sport on one's nails. These are the shades I own that fit into each color category. 

Poppy-
Thumb: Nails Inc Gel Effect in Kensington Passage

True Red
Index: Covergirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in 180; Lasting Love
Middle: Formula X in X Rouge 
(a good alternative for these two red shades would be this one or this one) 

Cobalt Blue
Ring: Nails Inc Gel Effect in Baker St.
(a perfect dupe for this would be Endless Blue by Sinful Colors; see comparison/review here)

Neon Violet (this one is borderline Magenta, but it still kind of works.)
Pinky: China Glaze Nail Lacquer in Traffic Jam

   Thank you so much for stopping in and reading this post, I really appreciate it! I know some people feel that they should change up the colors they wear each season, and others don't care or don't worry about that sort of thing; I'd like to hear from you guys though. Do you have colors that you gravitate towards during certain seasons, or is it all fair-game all year long? 

Thanks again, have a great weekend!
Love, Little Mouse

Follow
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram